Thursday, September 26, 2013

Burial Ground: The Nights of Terror


I probably shouldn't have laughed as hard as I did when I was watching this. Burial Ground is an Italian grindhouse zombie movie. In other words, expect gore and lots of sex. It came out way back in 1986, and is considered a cult classic because of its low budget, and they cast an adult dwarf to play a child that loves his mother way too much. Given when this movie was made, the special effects makeup is pretty good. The acting is godawful, but would anyone expect Oscar material out of something like this? I didn't think so.

It's kind of hard to rate something like this. I'm sure this was terrifying (not really) when it first came out. But now it's just corny and unintentionally funny. I still give it 4 out of 5. Yes, it's camp to the max. You also realize just how many films, writers, and directors took inspiration from it. It also managed to accomplish quite a bit for its time. The gore was over the top, but believable. The only thing I really can't get past is the zombies used weapons to kill people. And it is as stupid as it sounds. Outside of that, this would be a great addition to any cult classic collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment