Friday, May 4, 2012

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol



I know. Believe me, I know. Hell, Tom Cruise is the only one that gets top billing on the damn posters. That being said, he's actually not the main focus of the movie. Is he the main character? Without a doubt, and he damn sure won't let you forget it. Does the supporting cast even get more than 5 lines each? Surprisingly, yes. Tom Cruise toned down the bat poop megalomaniac craziness long enough to give every one else a chance to showcase their acting chops. And, I commend him for that.

Paula Patton is pretty good as the bad-ass female that wants to avenge the death of her lover. Simon Pegg is great as the comic relief. I was glad that he was actually funny, and not totally corny. Jeremy Renner can do no wrong in my eyes, and he does not disappoint as the former IMF analyst/ex field agent. The whole story revolves around the fact that Ethan Hunt (Cruise) has been framed for a bombing at the Kremlin. Whoever framed him also stole codes for an active nuclear warhead. As a result of the bombing, the president issues Ghost Protocol, which means IMF no longer exists.

It is very formulaic in that something goes wrong, Hunt has to fix it and he usually has to do it on his own to save the day. I will say Cruise really needs to stop doing action movies at this point. He definitely showed that his body isn't quite as robust as it used to be. Other than that, I can't find anything horribly wrong with the movie as a whole. The plot was interesting, every cast member held their own and the action scenes were pretty decent. So, I give it a 3 out of 5. It's not horrible, but it's not the best thing ever. I say just give it a shot just for the supporting cast and the action sequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment