Thursday, November 14, 2013

Hatchet III



I've been a fan of the Hatchet series ever since it started. It's crazy, funny, gory, and all the elements to be considered a horror fanatic's dream. This is supposedly the last film in the series. That being said...I can't help but feel like there was something missing. For starters, Adam Green was not in the director's chair. That task went to BJ McDonnell. He's mainly known as a camera operator, but name a recent movie you've seen and chances are he's the guy that had part in filming it. I personally think that's why this didn't have the same spark as the first two. It's not a bad thing, but when you watch it you can just tell something is missing.

Then there are the characters. MaryBeth is back, but in this one she's more psycho bitch than grieving daughter/sister. On the one hand, that could be expected after a 2nd final showdown with Victor Crowley. But for 87 minutes, and she manages become less likeable and annoying? It just didn't seem right. There's a whole new group of characters, but none of them seem all that interesting to care about. We do have one other familiar face: Parry Shen. It's great to see him, but I can't help but ask why he's back yet again.

I forgot to mention the sheriff and his ex wife. He's kind of a dick, and she's like this New Age hippie that lost her career trying to prove Crowley exists. I'm all for new characters, but these two were idiots. Both risked life and limb (pun intended) just to prove one another wrong. I'll let you guess how that goes. Now that I think about it, everyone was kind of an asshole. I don't think that's how you would want to end a trilogy.

I give this a 3 out of 5. It's definitely not terrible, and you'll probably love it if you're a hardcore fan. But I couldn't help but feel like it just wasn't the same. There's some great one liners as always, Crowley is still massive and brutal, but everything is just...there. And then there's this weird mush of a story line that seems to fall flat very quickly. It sets everything up, but there doesn't seem to be any real conclusion. I'm guessing it's because Adam Green is still hoping to continue the series, although it will be a whole new cast of characters that are affected by Crowley. I say see it at least once. It is still pretty entertaining even with its flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment